What kind of travel insurance do I need to have if I plan to go to Germany?


When traveling to Germany and other European Union member country, you will be required to get a Schengen visa-approved travel insurance with medical cover. Aside from this, you can also opt to be insured using the public health insurance system.

When you are applying for your visa for entry into Germany, the consulate will ask you to show your travel insurance policy and will check if this includes medical expense protection and emergency repatriation. The travel insurance should coverage a specified minimum limit for it to be approved for Schengen visa. The travel insurance must be effective for the entire duration of the visa. That means the coverage of the Schengen-approved travel insurance should be effective not just for the duration of your visit to Germany, but also to other European Union countries that you plan to visit.

If you are planning to apply for a multiple visa, the travel insurance you must get should be the annual multi-trip insurance. Upon application, you will be required to also present the policy and then during subsequent trips, they will ask you to sign a document saying that you already have the necessary travel insurance coverage.

If you are not a US citizen and you plan to visit Germany (as your main destination) and then go on to other countries in the European Union, you should apply for your Schengen visa from the German consulate.

When you get sufficient travel insurance protection for yourself, you can now look forward to all that Germany has to offer. You can enjoy the sights of the Black Forest, the majestic Alps and the Danube and the Rhine. You can go to historic places in Frankfurt and Berlin, while savoring the sights, tastes and sounds of this dynamic and highly-interesting country.

You can also consider buying EHIC coverage. This is the European Health Insurance Card which you can easily buy anywhere in Germany and in Europe. This card will help provide for medical expenses virtually anywhere in Europe. This, however, is only for government hospitals. It will not also cover other non-medical travel eventualities.

This means that your travel insurance and your EHIC can work together to form a more comprehensive coverage as you travel in Germany and across all Europe.

Was this question and its answer useful?
Not a bit
  • Currently 5/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Very useful
Have a question about insurance? Ask the experts