Is there travel insurance for mountaineering and trekking?


Yes, you can have travel insurance coverage for mountaineering and trekking.

Usually, these adventurous activities are not covered under a standard travel insurance policy, but you can opt to add this with your coverage. You don't want to be caught up in an adverse condition in the mountains without any help or financial protection. There is also annual multi-trip travel insurance that covers your penchant to go into the adventurous.

You should get yourself covered with travel insurance for mountaineering and trekking so that you are fully protected - whether it's going to daring heights or if it's just a low-altitude foray. Of course, your premiums will depend on how high you want to go - the higher you want, the higher the premiums you have to pay.

Mountaineering and trekking insurance covers you whatever your current level of expertise. This covers you for accidents and illnesses during your trekking or mountaineering adventure, as well as any equipments or kits you may have. After all, sports gear is quite expensive to replace in the event that there is damage or loss.

Travel insurance for mountaineering and trekking usually is priced based on a grading system. It will look into where you're planning to trek or mountain climb (will it be the Himalayas, the Andes mountains, or the heights in Britain) as well as the altitudes you want to reach. The lowest altitude should be 4000 meters or above. It will usually provide for medical costs, as well as emergency assistance, search and rescue and emergency evacuation. The insurance company should be able to organize your rescue and evacuation.

Of course, since this is primarily a travel insurance product, it will also provide you with the standard protection and benefits, such as 24-hour emergency assistance, money and luggage insurance, trip cancellation and personal liability. It will cover not just for accidents, but for medical conditions as well (that is, excluding pre-existing conditions).

Depending on the frequency of your mountaineering and trekking trips, you could look to see whether you need single trip coverage or an annual multi-trip travel policy.

To help facilitate possible claims, you should carry your insurance policy or proof of insurance in a secure place. You should also keep receipts of medical and travel-related expenses for later claims filing.

Was this question and its answer useful?
Not a bit
  • Currently 1/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Very useful
Have a question about insurance? Ask the experts