What activities can I indulge in using my student or gap year travel insurance?


Student gap year travel insurance is usually associated with more adventurous activities such as backpacking, sky diving and even bungee jumping. The list can be even longer and may apply to winter sports such as snowboarding or skiing, as well as mountain climbing, diving or windsurfing.

However, you need to check the policy's terms and conditions to check exactly what is bring covered. There are rules governing the activities and if these are violated, it may cause your policy to be invalidated and your claim to be denied.

For example, when you go mountain climbing, there is a maximum number of meters above sea level that you are allowed by your policy to climb. For scuba diving, there is also a maximum depth below sea level that you should dive into.

When you want to go mountain climbing, trekking or skiing, be sure to check that your travel insurance also provides for emergency search and rescue. This kind of cover may also restrict you from veering off the beaten track. So keep in mind where you are going to ensure that you are still protected by your insurance policy.

When you go backpacking, also look into the countries that are not included in the coverage provided. These countries have been declared by your country's Foreign Office as places that have a no-travel advisory, since there is a level of danger in that part of the world. There are also countries that may soon have a potentially hostile political environment.

All these restrictions may be frustrating to you, but this is actually provided to keep you safe. Even if you are insured, you wouldn't want to spend your holiday in the hospital, would you? You can still enjoy a lot of your planned activities, and that you don't exchange the thrill for your own safety.

Was this question and its answer useful?
Not a bit
  • Currently 0/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Very useful
Have a question about insurance? Ask the experts