Can I get travel insurance after a mild stroke?


Yes, you can still get travel insurance even after you have suffered a mild stroke. There are specific travel insurance products geared towards covering those who have pre-existing medical conditions such as stroke.

However, for cases like these, there may be special terms that will be applied to the travel insurance policy. You also have the option to get a travel policy at the standard rate (where your pre-existing condition will be excluded from the cover). You can also opt to have your pre-existing condition included in the coverage. However, you will have to pay a higher premium. A higher medical excess will also be charged if you have a claim related to your mild stroke.

It is important that you make a full disclosure of your stroke when you apply for the travel insurance. This can be done during the medical screening, before a quote is given to you for the travel insurance product. The insurance company may ask for further information, including other medical conditions that you have had or are now receiving treatment or medications for. Depending on the severity of your stroke and other factors, the insurance company may also reserve the right to deny you travel insurance coverage.

For your peace of mind, you should try to obtain travel insurance with pre-existing medical conditions coverage. In the event that you suffer another mild stroke or a related illness, it will be a good thing that your medical expenses are covered. This will help make sure that you receive the correct treatment without you having to pay for an arm and a leg in medical bills.

It is also important for you to read the policy to check whether its provisions are acceptable to you. For some, the terms may be so strict that it ultimately becomes unacceptable, so it is best to ensure that the travel insurance policy provides you with the kind of coverage you need.

Was this question and its answer useful?
Not a bit
  • Currently 5/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Very useful
Have a question about insurance? Ask the experts