Do I need extended title insurance coverage for bare land?


Yes, it is recommend that you get extended title insurance coverage, even if the property in question does not have any buildings or structures, but is instead just bare land.

Remember, the title to bare land may also be subject to ownership problems that may be due to fraud (such as the misrepresentation of key facts and failure to disclose the existence of addition heirs) or negligence (such as the wrong legal description of the property).

The extended owner's coverage will help to protect you from subdivision violations and liens on property tax. Extended title insurance is particularly useful if you plan to have construction on the property, as it can help you protect against builder bankruptcy as well.

Was this question and its answer useful?
Not a bit
  • Currently 5/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Very useful
Have a question about insurance? Ask the experts