Can I get pet insurance after my pet is injured?


Yes, even if your pet is injured, you can still get pet insurance. However, this injury will be excluded from your cover, since this is considered as a pre-existing medical condition. What you will get if you buy a pet insurance policy in this case is coverage for other events (illnesses and accidents) that are not related to the injury.

For instance, if your pet breaks a leg before you bought the pet insurance and that leg gets infected and needs medical treatment and x-rays, these will not be covered under the policy. However, if your pet develops a urinary tract infection or breaks another leg during the duration of the policy, the insurance company will pay to treat this, up to a specified limit.

That is why it is important for you to get pet insurance while your pet is healthy and even before he is injured, so that claims due to injuries or illnesses that occur after your policy becomes effective will be paid for by the pet insurance.

Here are some things to keep in mind:

  • If your pet belongs to a breed which is particularly predisposed to certain illnesses, be sure to buy pet insurance before it exhibits any symptoms. There are breeds that are more vulnerable to some illnesses, especially when it gets older. Once symptoms are seen and the pet insurance company sees this, it may be excluded from the policy's coverage.
  • You can buy pet insurance for pets that are as young as 8 weeks.
  • An injury (such as an orthopedic injury caused by an accident) is commonly included in the pre-existing conditions that are considered incurable. This injury will be permanently excluded from the coverage.
  • If your pet has a debilitating and chronic disease, what the pet insurance company will offer would be purely accident insurance. Accident insurance is available for all pets, regardless of their medical history.
Was this question and its answer useful?
Not a bit
  • Currently 4.7/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Very useful
Have a question about insurance? Ask the experts