How do you file a quit claim deed?


When you want to transfer a property or the rights and interests to it, you can use a quit claim deed. You can also use this to add someone to the title of your property or to remove someone from the title.

Before you file a quit claim deed, you should first know the details of how to do so since each state has their own rules about this. You can conduct a research on the local laws, or better yet, you can consult a lawyer.

Give the lawyer the details of why you want or need to transfer ownership or interests to another person or party. The lawyer will advise you as to what deed to use. If the lawyer tells you to use a quit claim deed, you can then have your real estate lawyer draft the quit claim deed so that all legal bases are covered. The quit claim deed shall contain details of the grant, such as the name of the grantee, the property's address and legal description, and other pertinent information.

You, as the grantor, can then sign the deed. Normally, the grantee is not required to sign this deed, nor are witnesses asked to sign. The quit claim deed can then be notarized by your lawyer or by a state official connected with the record of deed section of the county.

A quitclaim deed will remove someone from or add someone to the title to your home or other property. A common occurrence of this would be two people who are married to each other and one spouse gives up any interest in the property in question that the other spouse owns.

When adding the names of the grantees in the quit claim deed, be sure to avoid any errors in the spelling of the name. All current owners of the property or the interest should be listed down. You should also use the current name of the grantee. You should also include the names of all the present owners. Otherwise, if you don't list these down, it would mean that they are being removed from the title.

Was this question and its answer useful?
Not a bit
  • Currently 4.8/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Very useful
Have a question about insurance? Ask the experts