Can you get auto insurance with just a learner's permit?


Auto insurance is meant to provide protection for people who are operating a vehicle. And this includes someone with a learner's permit, regardless of the fact that learners may only drive subject to certain limitations and rules. After all, you still will need to protect yourself from liability from damages you may cause to other parties.

Thus, if you have a learner's permit, you need to get at least liability insurance (and in some states, Personal Injury Protection).

In most cases, it is the teenager that has the learner's permit. Here, the parents of the teenager would usually include him in their auto insurance policy until such a time that the teenager finally gets his driver's license and becomes a full-fledged driver. One can also get his own separate auto insurance policy, even with just a learner's permit, but this really is rare and far between.

Usually, getting auto insurance for someone who has a learner's permit will be more expensive and will also be covered with a lot of restrictions. There are also some insurance companies who are wary of issuing coverage to a new driver.

Some requirements that may be included in order for you to get auto insurance coverage would be:

  • A licensed driver must be included in the coverage. (Aside from the parent, this could be a roommate or a spouse)
  • When driving, the learner should always be accompanied by a licensed driver
  • You must be 16 years old or older
  • You must be able to get your driver's license within a specified period of time (usually the time limit is at 30 days after your policy is issued)
  • You need to show proof that you have already scheduled a driving test
Was this question and its answer useful?
Not a bit
  • Currently 3/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Very useful
Have a question about insurance? Ask the experts