What is the difference between full coverage and public liability insurance and property damage insurance?


Public liability and property damage (PLPD) insurance covers third party claims. These are expenses you are liable for if you are proven to be the one at fault in the car accident.

Full coverage pays for the damage and bodily injury you, as the insured person, incur. This is in addition to liability cover, which full coverage insurance also provides.

Thus, public liability and property damage insurance is just a component of full coverage.

Full Coverage Insurance

As the name suggests, this provides as complete a coverage as any. It provides the following coverages:

  • Bodily injury liability insurance. This pays not just for the medical expenses of those who have been injured as a result of the accident. It also pays for lost wages, replacement services and even burial expenses. This is for car accidents where you are at fault.
  • Property damage liability insurance. This pays for damaged property - other cars, houses, walls, other types of property both owned privately and by the government. Against, this is for accidents where you are at fault.
  • Collision insurance. This pays to have your car repaired or when the damage is severe and your car is declared a total loss, it will pay you the actual market value of the car at the time the car is damaged. This is especially if you are at fault.
  • Comprehensive insurance. This pays to have your car repaired when it is damaged by a covered cause other than collision. Most policies cover perils such as vandalism, theft, riots, acts of war, weather conditions and so on. This is also if you are at fault in the accident.
  • Uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance. This covers you for damage caused by a driver who is uninsured or is underinsured.
Was this question and its answer useful?
Not a bit
  • Currently 3.3/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Very useful
Have a question about insurance? Ask the experts