Do I need to carry dirt bike or any other off-road bike insurance?


Though off-road bikers are not required by law to insure their motorcycles against theft and damage, you are strongly advised to do so. Having your dirt bike stolen or damaged can cost you a fortune, and even make you give up your favourite hobby, if your motorbike is not adequately protected.

Riding a dirt bike in off-road conditions is a very enjoyable experience you can do on your own or share with your friends. You feel safe riding your bike, enjoying the nature around you, away from the dangers of the road. However, that does not mean that your dirt bike is entirely protected against being stolen or damaged. In fact, incidents of uninsured off-road bikes being stolen or wrecked happen too often to be overlooked.

Imagine the following hypothetical situation: you drive your family's dirt bikes in a trailer to your favourite off-road cycling track and after a nice ride, decide to have a few beers with your friends. You go back to your car only to realize that your precious bikes have disappeared. Unfortunately, your Personal Auto insurance does not typically cover dirt bikes in off-road conditions, even if they are in the trailer at the time of theft.

In order to prevent this from happening, you should shop around to find a good dirt bike insurance deal. A lot of companies can design an off-road bike insurance quote for you, according to your personal coverage preferences.

Coverages you should add to your dirt bike insurance policy, include protection against theft from a towing vehicle, physical damage and fire. It is only fair that, after spending so much on your bike and all the equipment, you put a few more dollars into protecting your bike. For a few extra dollars a month, you can have peace of mind that whatever happens to your favourite bike, it won't put an end to your favourite hobby.

Was this question and its answer useful?
Not a bit
  • Currently 3.6/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Very useful
Have a question about insurance? Ask the experts