What should I do to receive adequate car accident injury compensation?


Most people buying personal auto policies do so, hoping that they will never end up in a situation in which they will have to file an injury compensation claim. Some of them grossly underestimate the possibility of being involved in a car accident and suffering bodily injuries as a result of it. This usually results in people being inadequately insured.

Rule Number 1: Buy adequate coverage

If you want to be fully protected, one of the most important things to do is buy adequate auto insurance protection. If you wait until a car accident occurs to get car insurance, it will be too late and you might be left in a financially disastrous situation. No insurer will pay injury compensation to people who don't have the respective coverages in their personal automobile policies, regardless of how much pain and suffering they might be going through. So before you sign your car insurance contract, seriously think about including medical payments coverage, if your health insurance is meagre, and uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage.

Rule Number 2: Know what your injuries and suffering are worth

Imagine the worse has come to worst and you have been in a car accident. You have notified your insurer and described the circumstances around the accident. Now is the time to think about what losses you have sustained - including physical damage to your property, medical bills incurred, economic losses and all your pain and suffering. You need to receive a compensation that will indemnify you for all these losses.

Rule Number 3: Visit the doctor ASAP!

In order for the claim adjuster to evaluate your losses, they need to see your condition documented. Therefore, see a physician or a chiropractor immediately after the accident and require a Medical Report - this will increase your chances of getting adequate compensation.

Rule Number 4: Know when to engage an attorney

If your condition is minor, you should try and deal with the claim yourself. However, if you have sustained a more serious injury, you should contact an attorney to handle the claim for you.

Was this question and its answer useful?
Not a bit
  • Currently 0/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Very useful
Have a question about insurance? Ask the experts