Does Part D auto insurance coverage apply to a non-owned auto?


If you happen to be involved in an accident while being behind the wheel of a non-owned automobile and the vehicle is damaged, you have nothing to worry about as long as you have Part D auto insurance coverage.

Part D, also called Coverage for damage to your auto, provides protection for both your covered auto and any non-owned vehicle, such as borrowed or temporary substitute car. However, there are certain restrictions that need to be taken into account.

Definition of a Non-Owned Auto

In order for Part D coverage to apply to you if you cause damage to a vehicle you don't own, the car needs to meet the definition of a non-owned auto. The following requirements must be met:

  • The vehicle is a privately owned car, van, pick-up or trailer;
  • The vehicle is not owned by you or made available for the regular use of you or a member of your family;

Part D coverage applies in the following hypothetical cases:

  • If you borrow a car from somebody and cause accidental damage to the vehicle, the Part D coverage of your Personal Auto policy will pay for the damages. Even if you happen to drive the vehicle on a regular basis, you are still covered, as long as the car is not furnished for your regular use;
  • If you drive a temporary substitute automobile or a trailer as a replacement of your covered auto because the latter has broken down or is being repaired.

If you meet all these requirements, you can get the broadest Part D coverage which applies to your covered auto.

What Part D Coverage Includes

Part D coverage of a Personal Auto policy is optional and it provides protection for the physical damage to your auto, or to a non-owned auto that you drive. You can get two kinds of Part D coverage:

  • Coverage against collision loss - this includes protection for physical damages to a car as a result of collision with another vehicle or a stationary object.
  • Other-than-collision coverage, also called comprehensive coverage - pays damages for other than collision losses, such as theft, fire, vandalism, riot, calamities, etc.
Was this question and its answer useful?
Not a bit
  • Currently 3.9/5 Stars
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Very useful
Have a question about insurance? Ask the experts